Python is an open-source and structured programming language which is widely being used in the programming world. It was created in the 1990s by Guido Van Rossum. The name python came from Monty Python’s Flying Circus program. It is a very simple language and can be taught to novices very easily. NASA has started using python as the programming language for all its software systems. Even Google has coded many of its search engine and Web Crawler components in python language. The best part about python that it automatically compiles into a bytecode before execution. The bytecode is saved to the disk and the code doesn’t have to be compiled again. Python is a very dynamic language with object-oriented features and libraries.
The below list of features makes python a very interactive and user-friendly language to code with.
1. Easy to learn: The Python language has very fewer keywords, syntaxes, and structure. Hence anyone can learn this language quickly.
2. Easy to read and debug: The code has simple commands and syntaxes; hence it is very easy to understand the code and debug it if required.
3. Standard libraries: Since it is an open-source language, multiple libraries are available in python that is portable and can perform cross-platform executions as required by the user. Moreover, these libraries are also compatible with multiple operating systems like Windows, OSX, and UNIX.
4. Interactive Mode: Python has extensive support for coding in interactive mode. Therefore, debugging and testing can happen simultaneously while building the code.
5. Portability: Installing and running Python on multiple hardware platforms is simple to execute and it maintains the same interactive interface on every platform.
6. Expandability: Many modules can be added to the Python interpreter. These can also be customized as per a programmer’s requirement.
7. Database access: All commercial databases can be easily accessed in Python. With all companies investing in Big-data, this feature is an added advantage that the users are making full use of.
8. GUI Programming: Libraries in Python are present that support GUI based applications. Creating such applications is simple and can be done on any operating system.
9. Scalability: The structure of the Python language makes it suitable for scalability. Python can also be integrated with other programming languages like C, C++, CORBS, JAVA etc.
Python is being used extensively in various industries like Information Technology, Aviation Industry, Gaming Industry etc. Since it a very dynamic language. It is gathering attention from people of all fields and almost all major industries have started taking advantage of its features. Few application areas where python is currently being used are:
1. Web Applications: Python has very good libraries that can easily interact with internet formats like HTML, XML, JSON, beautifulSoup etc. Also, there are many frameworks within Python like Django, Flask, Pyramid etc. that can be used to design web applications easily. Few Python-based application is PythonWikiEngines, PythonBlogSoftware, Pocco etc.
2. Desktop GUI Applications: The Tk GUI library in python is one of the best libraries in the coding domain that is being used for developing GUI interfaces. Moreover, wxWidgets, pyqt etc. are other useful tools that are really helpful in designing GUI’s. For multi-touch applications the library Kivy is being used extensively in the industry.
3. Scientific Applications: Many libraries in Python like sciPy, Pandas etc. are available to support the engineering, mathematics, and sciences domains. These libraries have all major functions and algorithms used by the engineers in solving their problems. Numeric computing can easily be done in Python language.
4. Software Development: Either it is a support language application role or testing or management requirement, Python can be used for all these applications. It’s structured framework helps the engineers to use it in the software domain.
5. Console Based Application: The IPython application in Python is a great example of Python being used to develop console applications.
6. Business Applications: Many ERP and e-commerce systems are being written in Python programming language. Tryton is one such platform that is designed and developed in Python language.
7. Machine Learning: Since Python can handle large amounts of data and connect to various databases easily, the analytics domain has started using Python as a primary language to build machine learning algorithms. Especially, many deep learning algorithms are being implemented in Python.
All-in-all Python is a multipurpose language that can be integrated easily with any commercial hardware and operating system. Moreover, being open-source many good libraries are available in Python that is specifically designed for various tasks and can perform with high efficiency and in less computational time. All these features in Python make it a great language to work with and hence it is being loved by programmers all across the world. It is the best time to learn Python and add an additional skill to your resume.